Friday, June 25, 2010

Congratulations Graduates!

Today was A's graduation from preschool.  He has been in the same preschool with the same teacher for 2 years and we have loved every minute of it.  The teachers he has had have been so great with him and so understanding of him and his abilities and needs.  When he first started at Jowonio he was unable to peddle a tricycle.  Now he is able to ride a bike with training wheels (I should try him without to see if he can do it).  He was barely understood by people that didn't know him and now, nearly 100% of people understand him!  He couldn't hold a crayon/pencil, let alone write.  Now, he can write his name amongst other things.  He is able to read, sound out words, using those sounds to spell words, and answer "W" questions (those he still frequently says "mom, can you stop telling me about my day" when I ask him questions after school). 

One of the most important things is that he has friends and feels like he belongs.   He never had friends before.  He was never invited to playdates, never mentioned a friend, and never belonged.  That isn't the case.  When we were at a recent school carnival for a local elementary school, he climbed in the bounce house and excited raced over to the door and exclaimed, "Mom, all of my friends are here!!"  He loves his friends and school and because of his teachers, he has learned how to engage with peers (not that he is perfect at it and he still has some learning to do, but he is so much better off).  This is going to benefit him hugely when he starts kindergarten next week. 

I am so proud of him and the accomplishments he has made.  He hasn't had an easy life (I mean, it hasn't been the worst, but not easy either).  He had significant delays in language and motor and an inability to make friends.  He grew up listening to his father and I argue and saw a horrible example of a relationship.  He moved to a new state with me when he was 3 and has seen the drama and stress caused by our court battles.  But, he has persevered and has made huge changes.  He never says he can't do something and always is willing to try it.  So, congratulations A on your graduation!  I know that you'll do great things in life and I'm fortunate to be your mom so I can see what an amazing person you become.

And, thank you to all the teachers he's had over the past 2 years.  Each of you has a lasting impact on him and our family and I can't express to you enough how thankful I am for your help and support.  Jowonio is an amazing resource and you are amazing people to work there.  The world is better off with you in it.

~G

No comments:

Post a Comment