Thursday, June 3, 2010

Potty Training

When I worked with young children in preschool, I love potty training.  I'd even go so far as to say it was my favorite activity.  I loved to see how kids grew and developed so much during that time.  They really changed into independent young people who were so proud of all that they could do.  So, when I had kids, I thought (as I mistakenly did about so many things) that potty training would be the easiest thing in the world.

Into my life came A, a child who seeks out sensory experiences.  Well, I've come to realize how truly sensory potty things are.  He loved playing with poop.  He used to pull it out of his diaper and paint all over the house.  Needless to say, there was a time of about 9 months when he wasn't allowed to be alone, ever, including nap.  His all time favorite was to pee on the floor and dance it in.  Pee bounces just like a rain puddle, even in carpet!  He finally stopped doing all of those things and generally uses the potty fully now (though not at night--how do you even potty train a child at night?).

C expressed interest very early.  I was ecstatic thinking that potty training would be so easy  with her.  And initially, it was.  I used a timer and she voluntarily went and all was well.  I could forgo the timer if I kept a potty downstairs, which I did.   However, the bathroom is upstairs so it became a pain to run up and down every 30 minutes (she loved to pee in that little potty).  And, she was going in the big potty often so no more need for the little potty.  Well, I'm not sure what has happened, but she has no accidents at school at all, yet has accidents nearly every single day at home.  And, not only does she have accidents, she does so and doesn't care anymore (she used to hate that feeling of pee all over herself).  So, if I don't spot it, she sits in it until I do.  But, there are those days when she has no accidents at all and I have hope that we've turned the corner.  Until that moment, I'm the parent that brings multiple changes of clothes out wherever I go.  It isn't quite as bad with C.  She hasn't peed all over the floor of the grocery store like A did (though she did paint with poop once). 

Perhaps I need to bribe C with candy as they do in daycare (though I hate that)?  Perhaps I need to bring the little potty back downstairs?  Perhaps I need to just deal with getting peed on daily?  Perhaps by this time next week, C will be fully potty trained?  That is the one thing that is certain about potty training--you never know how long it will take or when they will no longer have accidents.  I suppose it is much like Art, its the process that matters, not the product. 

G

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh... I have child C.... that is my son. He goes all day at pre-school (at the time I lied about the potty training in hopes they would help out some :-/) Then he comes home and pees. He fights me when I ask him to change his underware... screams as though he is being hurt. I have thrown my hands up at home. I guess I'm lucky he goes at school for his teachers!

    ReplyDelete