Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I don't want you to keep me safe.

It's been awhile since I've posted.  It was a quiet few days.  That changed today.  After dinner, we decided to take the kids to get ice cream from Friendly's.  We get there and, as usual, the mayhem begins.  It generally sounds like this, "Sit down on your behind."  "You are inside so that is too loud."  "Calling someone a witch is not a gentle word and it is not okay."  "If you can't sit on your bottom and use your inside voice, no ice cream."  "Great googly moogly, just SIT DOWN!"  Apparently they were freshly churning the ice cream today because it took awhile.  But the ice cream finally comes and it is a sheer bliss, for all of 10 minutes.  Ice cream is gone, clean up begins and out we go.  C runs in front of me.  Now, generally she stops and waits when she gets to a parking lot as she must hold my hand.  Today, she decided to run out into the parking lot.  I grab her arm and tell her it is NOT okay to run into a parking lot.  She immediately starts crying and says, "you hurted my arm!"  I told her I was sorry that I hurt her arm but that I had to protect her from running in the parking lot because there are cars there that could run her over.  Here is the rest of the conversation:

C: I don't want you to protect me.
G: C, it is my job as a mommy to protect you.  This is why I grabbed your arm to keep you safe.
C: I don't want to be safe. 
G: If you aren't safe, you run the risk of getting run over by a car.
C: I don't want a car to run me over.
G: I don't want that either, that is why I need to keep you safe.
C: I DON'T WANT YOU TO KEEP ME SAFE!  I WANT THE CAR TO RUN ME OVER.
G: C, I'm not going to argue with you about this.  It is my job to keep you safe as a mommy and I'm going to do my job, period.
C: I don't want to be safe (mumblings under her breathe).

Honestly, I never thought I'd have to argue with my kid about the importance of keeping her safe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment