Thursday, May 20, 2010

Its all in the name

How important is a name?  A has been very into names lately.  He asks everyone he sees "What is your name?"  He isn't satisfied with the first name though.  He continues on his questioning "What is your middle name?"  "What is your last name?"  "What is your second name?"  Now, I've yet to figure out my 2nd name, but he doesn't seem to mind that I don't have an answer for that.  He asks each person, at least once, every time he sees them.  Hell, he asks me about 400 times a day and he knows my name! 

Ok, so he knows my full name, no biggie.  Now, he used to call me momma.  Then it switched to mommy.  Now, we are on a first name basis, as if we are peers.  He simply calls me Glenda.  Regardless of where we go or what he needs, he calls me Glenda.  Now, I remember calling my mom by her name when I was a teenager simply because saying Mom in a store results in lots of people looking your way, but very rarely, for some reason, did my mom actually look.  Ok, so he doesn't call me mom, no biggie right?  Nope, no biggie for me, but he does call my sister mom.  She has a son and her son calls her mom so my son copies that and calls my sister mom.  So, when we are out somewhere, if you hear him say mom, he means my sister and if you hear him say Glenda, he means his mom!

Other names you might hear him call people.  Poopyhead (though this has 99.9% stopped, due to planned ignoring.).  You might hear him scream and point and people he walks by saying "WITCH!"  I tried on a costume last year one time and ever since then, everyone is a witch.  If he just called people a witch, I'd ignore it, but he screams it, points in their face (if they are his height) or at their body (if they are taller) and shouts WITCH.  Of course, C, thinking that it is funny now does the same thing.  So, if you are out and you hear 2 kids screaming at you WITCH and see 1 Glenda ignoring them (I'm giving planned ignoring another shot), I apologize, especially when it freaks out your kid and they start crying.  In those instances, please know that I'm talking to the kids in the car about how they scared the kid by yelling at them.  For the record, it is making some impact.  Today, A just loudly said WITCH without pointing at kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment