Monday, October 24, 2011

Bullying and Kids

I've been spending a lot of time at A's school lately and as such, I am witnessing lots of teasing and taunting of other kids.  Now, growing up, it likely would have been referred to by adults as "good-natured ribbing" as I know none of the kids mean to hurt others with their words.  But, seeing it happen so rampantly with such young kids (they are 5 and 6 years old), I am amazed.  I do not remember it being such a common thing.  I don't know what has changed that has led to the amount of teasing observed or if I just don't remember it because I wasn't part of it or just don't remember it or what, but gosh! 

At this point, I am grateful that A doesn't realize when others are teasing him but it does make me have concern for when C starts school.  She will notice it (and hopefully, not participate in it) and it makes me sad to realize this.  I can't tell you how many times I have explained to kids that it is a form of bullying and therefore, not okay.  I really don't think they realize that language can be used to bully, other than calling someone a name because they look at me genuinely confused when I tell them that it is bullying. 

My plea is for parents to talk with your kids about how teasing is bullying.  AND, if you are a parent that teases your kid, please STOP!  You are teaching by example it is okay to bully others with words.  I watched kids behavior completely deteriorate due to verbal bullying today, to the point they literally were throwing fists, in 1st grade!  This is just unacceptable to me and it really makes me so sad to see that it happens this young.  And, there aren't enough adults around when it happens to realize what is going on.

So, my second plea is to talk to your kids about this kind of bullying and how they can respond, without internalizing it or externalizing it with violence.  Please give your kids the tools to combat this kind of behavior very early on so they will be prepared because it starts very early on in school. 

Now, this isn't to say that kids were playing out "mean girl" scenarios, but they were picking on kids for peeing in their clothes, for falling down, for getting in trouble, etc.  All of these incidents would be small in nature, but when combined, could amount to issues as kids get older.

Okay, end of the PSA.  Go hug your kids and teach them, through your own actions, how to love, how to be a good friend, and how to respect each other.

~G

No comments:

Post a Comment