Saturday, July 24, 2010

Parenting Fail

Let me start by saying that I think I'm a great parent.  I don't want people to feel badly for me or feel like I don't think I'm a good parent.  That said, let me just say that sometimes, for a moment, I feel like a total and utter failure.  I know that all parents feel this way, though it is rarely talked about, so here you go, I'll talk about it so you don't feel so bad thinking it. 

Ok, so it started out last night.  It was bedtime and A has been struggling with that for the past week.  I told him that if he came out of his bedroom again, he'd lose the Wii.  He came out and I followed through (YAY for me!) and put up the Wii remotes so we haven't used them all day. So, he stays in his room and goes to sleep after that.  However, he is up at 3 trying to come into my room.  I take him back to his room, 10 minutes later he is up again, rinse and repeat for 3 cycles.  By the end of the 3rd cycle, he is crying that he needs me and I am feeling increasingly frustrated and exhausted!  I lay down with him and talk to him for a minute then fall asleep (first failure).  I wake up at 7 with a 48 lb kid laying on me and I'm dripping with sweat because it is so humid outside.  We get up, brush teeth, go potty and downstairs he goes (and his sister as she woke up too).  I go upstairs to lay down for a bit. 

Time goes on and all is well for a bit.  But, by 9 am, there was crying as both kids were annoying one another and A discovered he can't play Wii.  I go take a shower and more crying happens.  Apparently, A hit C and C pinched him in the face.  I talk with both about how it isn't okay, how to respond when someone does something we don't like, etc.  Hitting and annoying each other resumes and I send each kid to their own rooms to calm themselves down while I finish getting ready.  Then, I ask for A to put on his clothes (C already did so).  He starts crying about how he doesn't want to, he wants me to help him, etc.  He finally puts them on (it took 20 min) and we get some lunch. 

It is nap time now for C and I am thoroughly enjoying the lack of crying, not hearing "mom" and just enjoying the quiet. Its been a rough day and it is only 1pm!  Damn this heat because we can't even just go outside to play so we are stuck inside (where at least the fans will help cool us down).  Here's hoping that this afternoon will be filled with laughter instead of tears.

~G

No comments:

Post a Comment